Volunteering for Individuals and Families
Looking for an on-going and meaningful way to connect to your community? We are always in need of humble hands to help make our farm look its best. The Urban Farm at Stapleton offers unique opportunities for individuals and families to add a little country to your city life.
We have a plethora of work available throughout the year, anything from gardening and mucking animal pens, to fixing and building structures. From time to time we’ll we have VOLUNTEER EVENTS (listed at bottom of page)
We welcome adults and youth. Volunteering minors, under 18 yo, need to be supervised by an accompanied adult and may not be left on premises alone. Children accompanying a volunteering adult must stay with adult at all times. Typically children under the age of 5 are easily distracted by the animals and may not do well working for a longer period of time, please take this into consideration.
Volunteer days and hours are:
Monday to Thursday 8:30am-9:30am – Poultry chores (verify availability with staff)
Tuesdays 8:00am-12:00pm – General chores
Saturdays 9:30am-11:00am – Horse chores
Saturdays 10:00am-1:00pm – General chore
Some Saturdays 9:00am-10:00am – Poultry chores (verify availability with staff)
For on-going and regular volunteering we ask that you attend a volunteer orientation. Once you have attended the orientation you will be able to join us for farm chores on days listed above.
Volunteer Orientations – 9:00am to 10:00am
November 17, 2018
December 15, 2018
January 19, 2019
February 16, 2019
March 16, 2019
We will take you on a tour of the Farm, introduce you to our programs, and help you get started on your volunteering journey. Dress for the weather. Open to adults and minors. Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
To ensure the safety of our volunteers and our farm friends, we ask that everyone bring a signed Waiver and Release (download and print), if you have not yet visited the farm this year.
What kind of chores might you be doing?
- Adopt a chicken coop project – Finish the trim and pain our new chicken coop. Fix up old sheds. All supplies are provided.
- Watering animals
- Weeding around the farm
- Vehicle maintenance (requires skilled technician)
- Adopt a Playhouse – Sweep and clean, minor repairs, weed around the playhouse
- Trash brigade
- Adopt a flower bed – Weekly weeding and clean-up around parking lot beds
- Greenhouse – Maintain grow-towers, aquaponics system and general clean-up
- Mowing – seasonal
- Mucking – clean out animal pens
- Poultry care – feed, water, clean up and collect eggs during the week
- Terracycle – Help us raise money by sorting various packaging for Terracycle which cannot be recycled through Denver’s recycling program. More info about Terracycle here
In addition we are in need of volunteers for the following:
- Field Trip Leader – lead school groups around the farm and provide an educational experience. Contact Caroline
- Office assistant – Monday through Thursday 10am to 2pm. Contact Caroline
- Do you have a special talent? We’re looking for:
- education facilitator
- skilled electrician
- skilled carpenter
- skilled plumber
- other skills